Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Collected on a Lunch

I collected on a lunch today.

Many times when I sit down with a new college grad or a professional who is out of work, I pay for the lunch while we are discussing their career search. The deal is that they will buy me lunch once they line up their first or next job.

Unfortunately I collect on very few of those lunches. That made this lunch so special.

When Carrie H. graduated with her BA, we sat down to discuss her job search. We discussed all aspects of her search – her goals, her resume, how to effectively network, the interview process, and salary negotiation.

Since then she earned her MA and had a solid paid internship with a local high tech company in their Human Resource Department. During her internship, she was able to take Lean Manufacturing classes including Value Stream Mapping.

All good internships have to come to an end.

This week, Carrie accepted a great job in the Human Resource Department with one of the major airlines. I used to be a Premier Exec with them.

It is really exciting for me to watch her progress as Carrie begins her career (although probably not as exciting as her parents!).

Over lunch, Carrie was excited (and proud – well she should be!) as she discussed her job search and her acceptance at the airline. This will be perfect job for her since it provides opportunity for growth.

After lunch, Carrie told me that she still has the spreadsheet of contacts that I suggested that she create for networking (since names and numbers are a candidate’s most valuable commodity). She said that she has added to it.

Oh yeah, how did Carrie find this job? She did a great job in her internship and networked her way into an interview.

Thanks for lunch, Carrie! And Good Luck!